Staying motivated to exercise regularly is a common problem for most people who repeatedly try and fail to achieve their fitness goals. If you are having trouble sticking with an exercise routine, it may be a good time to find a workout buddy who can help you stay motivated to work out. Having an exercise buddy can make exercise fun, ease the dullness of familiar workout routines, and encourage you to explore other activities to help you reach your health and fitness goals.
Finding an Exercise Buddy or Activity Partner
1. Get support from family and friends. It is easier to stay motivated to exercise when you have supportive family and friends. More so if you could encourage them to workout with you. You can invite family and friends to join you in one of your exercise routines. You can go walking, running, swimming, or engage in a wide array of fun, physical activities that might encourage them to start exercising with you.
2. Connect with someone who has similar fitness goals. Another way to get motivated to work out is to find an activity buddy who shares the same fitness goals as yours. If you are training for your first marathon, you could seek out potential exercise buddies who may be aiming for the same thing. If you are trying to lose weight, you can look for someone who is serious about shedding the excess weight.
3. Find like-minded people. Finding a fitness buddy within your community makes it more convenient for you to schedule your workouts together. You can sign up for community exercise groups or reach out to your network of friends for people who may be interested to buddy up with you for shared fitness goals.
Exercising with Your Activity Buddy
1. Come up with a fitness plan. Discuss what you want to accomplish, set goals, and make a workout plan that you can stick with. Having clear, shared goals can help in keeping you and your exercise buddy motivated to achieve the results you want.
2. Set a regular workout schedule. You and your exercise buddy should agree on an exercise schedule that works best for both of you. You can start with a few days a week until such time you become more comfortable sticking to more regular or daily workout sessions.
4. Motivate each other. One of the many perks of having an exercise buddy is that you can motivate each other. You can encourage each other to push yourselves to achieve challenging fitness goals.
5. Provide encouragement. Another way to stay motivated to work out is to keep track of your progress. You and your activity partner can keep track of your progress. Schedule weekly weigh-ins or measurements or organize fitness tests to measure how much your speed, endurance, or power have improved.